Who is most at risk of electrical burns?
• In the workplace, electricians are most at risk of suffering injuries related to electricity.
• In the household, young children are most at risk of injury through electricity.
• Electrical burns can be caused by anything with an electric current from plug sockets to live wires and generators.
Much student accommodation is powered by electricity, not gas, due to the risk of any incidents arising- whether it be a maintenance fault, or students failing to use appliances safely (i.e. leaving the gas on). In Halls of Residence, electric cookers, boilers and so on are often used for this reason- first year students living away from home for the first time are going to struggle.
The main concern is moving into your own house in later years- you are faced with a lot more responsibility, (paying bills, organising broadband, gas, electricity and water supplies etc.) and the likelihood of gas powered appliances is increased. It is crucial to know what must be done in order to live safely and happily.
Schools banned British Bulldog in playgrounds because of health and safety
- The playground game British Bulldog was banned by many schools due to concern arising from the danger it caused. No national or legal ban was put in place, but many schools still feared for the welfare of pupils on playing such a violent game.
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous material and has been used for about 150 years on a large scale. It is versatile, plentiful and ideal as a fire-proofing and insulation material. But it can be deadly!
The three main types of asbestos that have been used commercially are:
Children must wear goggles when playing conkers at school.
• This myth is an old chestnut of the health and safety myths (no pun intended), and is that- nothing more than a myth.
• HSE has no policies regarding the childhood pastime, yet one teacher, with nothing but the welfare of their pupils in mind, decided that it was for their own good to wear protective clothing whilst playing conkers.
• This school policy was put in place wrongly ‘in the name of health and safety’. HSE had not passed any regulations on such a policy, it was merely the school hiding under the health and safety monster.
• However, this myth caused quite a stir amongst many primary schools, with many subsequently banning the game once again ‘because of health and safety’.
• In reality, the schools were probably fed up of cleaning up the cuts and bruises their pupils ensued (whether or not they thought it too risky to use plasters is open to debate) and banned it because it became a chore for them, not because any legislation required it.
What’s the fuss?
Chemical burns are a common workplace risk, yet some are more harmful than others. Hydroflouric acid (HF) is one of the strongest inorganic acids, so contact with a small amount of HF can be deadly- burn covering only 2.5% of your body surface area is enough to cause death. Pain is not felt immediately after, a HF burn increasing the chances of the injury going unnoticed and increasing its severity. However, there are ways to protect yourself and treat more severe burns.
Exposure usually is unintentional and often is due to inadequate use of protective measures.
In America, more than 1000 cases of HF burns are reported anually. The actual incidence rate is unknown.
Who’s most at risk?
Concert goers have to wear earplugs ‘because of health and safety’
- Can you imagine trying to tell a bunch of big hairy bikers that they can’t watch Slayer unless they put earplugs in?
What provisions are required at work?
What should a first aid kit contain?
Is first aid training needed?