Pub Worker Fined For Gas Failings
This is another case of gas work being carried out by unqualified workers. An HSE investigation was launched into the safety practices of a Torquay pub worker after gas failings were identified at a flat in Torquay. The homeowner requested commissioning documentation for the new gas boiler, but it was not provided, and so he alerted the HSE to his concerns.
Working with LRB Consulting has improved our Health and Safety compliance. Their Staff have a very practical and common sense approach and are a delight to work alongside. Their ongoing professionalism has been invaluable in developing a robust Health and Safety awareness throughout the organisation.
Roger McDermott, Property Manager & Health and Safety Coordinator
Firm Fined Following Fall From Height
The HSE launched the investigation into the safety practices of a Derbyshire based construction company after a worker was injured in a fall from height
The court heard how a subcontractor was contracted to pour concrete onto the first floor of a building under construction in Edinburgh. While walking across a floor under construction when his boot caught, and he tripped, unsecuring a wooden board and exposing a void of 2mx1m.
The worker fell over 4m and sustained serious injuries to his back, a broken foot. He was unable to work for 22 weeks and suffers reduced mobility and continuing pain since the accident.
Two Firms Fined Over Asbestos
Two firms were fined in April 2016 for breaching health and safety laws relating to safe work with asbestos. Read on to find more about the case
An HSE investigation was launched into the safety practices of two companies after asbestos was found to have been disturbed during refurbishment work.
The court heard how two employees of a maintenance survey had disturbed an asbestos insulating board whilst carrying out works to convert former commercial premises in Romford into flats.
The subsequent HSE investigation found that the client had not alerted the contractor to the presence of asbestos despite having prior knowledge of its presence. It was also found that no refurbishment and demolition survey had been conducted to determine if asbestos was present. As a result, the two workers had carried out the work on the asbestos insulating board without implementing effective precautions and were therefore significantly exposed to the risks caused by asbestos fibres.
The case was heard at Westminster Magistrates’ Court where the premises management firm pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 10(1)(b) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007. They were fined £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1020.64 and a victim surcharge of £1000.
The contracted maintenance firm pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. They were fined £5,000, costs of £974.44 and a £500 victim surcharge of £500.