Two companies have been fined after a worker received serious electrical burns during demolition work. The Magistrates’ Court in Chelmsford heard how in April 2017 two demolition workers employed by a sub-contractor (R B Haigh & Sons) were removing electrical distribution equipment from a switchgear room at the former Molecular Products site in Thaxted, Essex.

Read More

Food company fined after worker electrocuted Key Facts:  A 21-year-old worker was electrocuted after coming into contact with live cabling in a food company’s loft. He was pronounced dead at the scene by the ambulance crew. The food company was  fined £170,000 and ordered to pay costs of £35,403.

Read More

Unsafe electricity work leads to fines for two companies Key Facts: Two men suffered severe burns whilst working on a live electricity distribution board. A capacitor from the distribution board fell onto a live conductor whilst they were working on it, causing an electrical flashover. The employing company and the company in charge of the

Read More

Fine issued for multiple health and safety failings Key Facts: The site was in such a dangerous condition that 8 notices were immediately issued by the visiting health and safety inspector Dangers included unguarded dangerous machinery, exposure to risk of electrocution, and asbestos contamination. HSE inspector said that the standards were “totally inadequate” and that

Read More

Follow this link to see a copy of this months health and safety newsletter. This is our first Health and Safety Newsletter for a brand new year. If you have ideas for future articles or subjects that you would like to see covered this year, please let me know. We look forward to supporting you through

Read More

In this blog article, we look at some of the questions that are concerning employers about electricity in the workplace.  Consideration needs to be given to the system that we plug into (the fixed electrical installation) as well as what we plug in (portable electrical equipment). In both cases, testing should be carried out by

Read More

Construction Safety Electrical Cable cut through – a worker survives after cutting through a live mains cable.  A construction company has been fined £2,000 and made to pay £980 in fees after they were found guilty of failing to identify live mains cables under the CDM regulations 2007. The company was clearing the site to

Read More

With an increase in the number of recorded workplace fatalities, accidents and consequences, Mike Ellerby this month looks at the some of the commonest causes of workplace fatalities and considers what companies can do to help to prevent these and to protect their employees and their businesses.

Read More

Workplace accidents threaten your business and the lives of your employees – avoid them. Contact LRB Health & Safety Consulting to ensure that your workplace becomes a safe environment for everyone. We work with business and other organisations across the spectrum – if you need help now call 01509 550023 or email us with any

Read More