A supplier and a flooring company have both been sentenced following the death of a floor layer in London. Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard that on 4 September 2015, 30-year-old PT was found dead on the bathroom floor by the owner of the house in Mitcham. The adhesive used to fix the flooring contained a large

Read More

22 students died in a fire on 24 May 2019. If this had occurred in the UK, this would have been huge news. Lots of underlying causes: lack of automatic fire detection lack of fire fighting equipment single wooden staircase inappropriate storage The fire occurred at a commercial complex (Takshashila Arcade) in Surat in India.

Read More

Two companies have been fined after a worker received serious electrical burns during demolition work. The Magistrates’ Court in Chelmsford heard how in April 2017 two demolition workers employed by a sub-contractor (R B Haigh & Sons) were removing electrical distribution equipment from a switchgear room at the former Molecular Products site in Thaxted, Essex.

Read More

The HSE are currently in the process of updating the suite of RIDDOR Forms. The look and feel of the forms is being modernised, but the functionality and the reporting requirements are to remain unchanged. As a result of these changes, when an updated form is accessed notifiers will no longer receive an email copy.

Read More

A Devon based hoteliers was been sentenced after asbestos-containing materials (ACM) were disturbed during a major refurbishment at The Park Hotel in Barnstaple. The Magistrates’ Court in Newton Abbot heard that between October 2016 and May 2017 construction work was undertaken to refurbish the hotel on Taw Vale. Parts of the hotel were originally constructed during

Read More

It is not great to read that a School closes due to Safety Concerns. This is disruptive to the pupils and immensely frustrating to their families.  A brand new, state-of-the-art School in Dumfries has closed on safety grounds, just a month after opening. This follows two safety incidents at the North West Community Campus. In the

Read More

Asbestos in a Primary School – Kent County Council (KCC) was fined £200,000 after asbestos was disturbed at Lansdowne Primary School. Canterbury Crown Court heard how, in November 2014, an environmental health officer was carrying out a routine food inspection when they noticed what looked like an asbestos rope hanging from the ceiling. A prohibition notice

Read More

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has announced that it has been made aware that two UK Laboratory Supply companies have supplied schools (and potentially other users) with gauze mats that contain asbestos. These metal gauze mats are designed for use over Bunsen burners. The HSE has served enforcement notices on both companies. A spokesperson for

Read More

Council H&S officers reported dangerous roof work to HSE – Prison Sentence for Roofing Contractor. A roofing contractor has been sentenced for safety breaches after workers were left at risk of falling from unprotected roof edges in February 2016. The failures of C Smith Roofing (Mr Chris Smith T/A) were discovered by local council health and safety

Read More